Scala Architectural and Engineering Scale provides a new way to measure printed drawings on the go and at your desk. It includes standard imperial architectural, metric architectural, and engineering scales in a handy app. You can also create custom variable scales in case your drawings aren't to a known scale. There is also a slider that does the measuring for you.
- FIXED SCALES - If you know the scale of a drawing, place your device on the drawing, scroll to the scale of the printed drawing and watch the chosen scale slide in.
- VARIABLE SCALES - If the scale of a drawing is unknown, slide your finger on the variable scale and match the scale of one known element, lock it and use it to measure all elements on that drawing.
- MEASURING - Slide the measurement slider in fixed or variable scale modes, along the scale to see the desired measurement displayed.
- SECONDARY UNITS - Choose secondary units to be displayed while measuring, to quickly convert between metric, decimal feet and feet and inches.
- PRECISION - Control the precision of the measurement units.
Noerah Alvi, AIA | Programming, design and graphics
I am an architect and iOS Developer, based in New York.
One day in a meeting for an architectural project outside the office, I needed an architect's scale to measure a drawing, but didn't have one at hand. I later looked in the App Store and could not find an app that fit my needs. That was the day I realized that my first app would be an architectural scale. I started by writing methods to convert decimals into feet and fractional inches, followed by algorithms for drawing undulating lines of a scale. The evolution of this app dictated that I add Engineering and Metric scales as well. I took it a step further than expected and developed variable scale so drawings of unknown scales could be measured. Scala has truly become the app that I use daily for my work.
Free download with in-app purchase for $2.99
iOS 9.1+ | Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
alvi at steeltreelabs dot com